Just ASK! Health Program
PTAs play an important role in engaging families, teachers and children to develop healthy behaviors. North Carolina PTA works with partners to mobilize parents to advocate for school health policy and environment change in the areas of physical activity and nutrition.
One of the NCPTA Advocacy Priorities is Health and Wellness. The education of children depends, to a great degree, on their overall health. Our public schools must help children learn the value of balanced nutrition, sensible exercise and good overall health. North Carolina PTA will support public policies at all levels of government and school programs that help to maintain the health and wellness of children.
We work on the Whole School, Whole Child, Whole Community model. Click on any area to learn more about that part of a healthy school and get ideas for what your PTA can do!
NCPTA launched its first Just ASK! Healthy Schools Grants in 2012. PTAs in North Carolina may be eligible to apply for grants to for healthy school environment projects at various times of the year.
For details on NCPTA grant application dates or other community or national grant opportunities, please email Marianne Hedrick Weant. She is also available for recommendations regarding assessment tools, budgets and evaluation.
Past Grant Recipients
Health and wellness are an important part of all of NCPTA’s training opportunities.
2017 Idea Calendar
Need a little inspiration? Healthy and wellness can be incorporated into everything your PTA does!
- Martin Luther King Day
- National Soup Month
- National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week
- Dental Health Month
- Black History Month
- Valentine’s Day
- American Heart Month
- National Nutrition Month
- Women’s History Month
- Music in Our Schools Month
- Read Across America Day
- School Breakfast Week
- School Library Month
- Earth Day
- Arbor Day
- Administrative Professionals Week
- Every Kid Healthy Week
- Bike to School Day
- State PTA Convention
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- School Nurses Day
- Celebrating Asian and Pacific-Island Heritage Month
Take these months to evaluate your year’s activities!
- What worked?
- What didn’t?
- What should we do the same or different next year?
- What should we budget and plan for next year?
- What resources to we need to identify for next year?
- Grandparents Day
- Hispanic Heritage Month
- Labor Day
- National Food Safety Education Month
- Fruit and Veggies—More Matters Month
- Walk to School Day
- School Administrator’s Month
- Fire Prevention Week
- World Food Day
- National Bullying Prevention Month
- Healthy Lifestyles Month
- Election Day
- Native American and Alaska Native Heritage Month
- Great American Smokeout
- National Healthy Skin Month
- World AIDS Day
- National Handwashing Awareness Week