NCPTA Advocacy Priorities
In keeping with the North Carolina PTA’s mission and support of our existing and long-standing policies, the North Carolina 2023 State Legislative Advocacy Priorities, adopted by the Board of Directors on March 13, 2023, are as follows:
1. Support for NCPTA’s parent engagement programs
- Students and schools are more likely to thrive and succeed when parents and caregivers are engaged in their children’s education. NCPTA supports legislation and funding to enhance parent and family engagement in schools throughout North Carolina.
2. Mental Health & Wellness
- The COVID pandemic has shown a spotlight on the increased mental health needs of children in our state. NCPTA supports efforts to improve child mental health. NCPTA supports efforts to increase funding for school counselors, school social workers, school psychologists, school nurses, and other school health professionals.
3. School Nutrition
- Healthy meals and nutrition are important for the health and wellbeing of children. NCPTA supports efforts to provide healthy meal choices and universal school breakfast and lunch.
4. School Funding
- NCPTA supports efforts to fully fund school infrastructure and technology needs and increased salaries for certified professionals, classified professionals, and other licensed professionals in our schools. NCPTA also supports funding that effectively enhances school safety in all our schools.