The NCPTA reminds parents that their children can avoid cavities by brushing their teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, cleaning between their teeth daily, eating a healthy diet that limits sugary beverages and snacks, and seeing a dentist regularly. Establish a routine schedule of taking your child to the dentist early and make the event fun and easy. Ask your dentist about dental sealants and sports mouthguards during your regular visits. Prevention and treatment of oral disease are the keys to a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. NCPTA is working across the state to advocate for oral health resources for our students and the ability for schools to support the families they serve. You, too, can help support dental health awareness by advocating for it at your school:
- Ask your school to participate in a Children’s Dental Health event
(see toolkit below for resources)
- Organize dental partners in your school’s neighborhood
- Make dental health a priority in local Back to School events
- Prepare a press release and social media posts to support oral health awareness
- Make dental health easy and fun for your students
To support your efforts, NCPTA has prepared a toolkit (below) for your local Children’s Dental Health event. Please note that some portions of the toolkit are for younger audiences and some are for older, so please choose as appropriate for your audience. Also, both English and Spanish versions have been provided when available. Finally, the toolkit contains ideas for sample press releases, news articles and social media posts. Use some or all of the contents as you see fit!
- Children’s Dental Health Toolkit
- Children’s Dental Health flyer (English)
- Children’s Dental Health flyer (Spanish)
NCPTA would like to thank the NC Oral Health Collaborative for their support.